Monday, November 26, 2012

Jada Boles the Candy Cane

It was a year ago when I transferred to Toledo Ballet from eleven years of dancing at a competitive dance studio. I was excited but also very nervous about meeting all new people and auditioning for a professional production of The Nutcracker. I was worried about how everyone would welcome me or even if they would.  It turned out that I had nothing to be nervous about.

The teachers, the staff, and all the other dancers treated me like I’d been a part of the Toledo Ballet family all of my life. I was cast in the roles of Candy Cane, Big Soldier, and understudy for Harlequin and Flowers. One funny thing that I remember about Candy Cane was the up-tempo pace of jumping through the hoop and being so nervous that I would whack myself in the head. Thankfully, I never did. I remember exhaling with relief after every rehearsal and performance.



No comments:

Post a Comment