Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Laura Blaufuss Nutcracker Memories


The Nutcracker will always have a special place in my heart. I joined the Toledo Ballet when I was five years old and remember that oh-so-restricting age limit. You had to be seven years old to audition. So naturally when I was seven I did just that. I performed as a Soufflé Sailor in my first Nutcracker. I am now fifteen years old, and I have performed in every Nutcracker since then.
When you were a seven year old, a part of a production for the first time, you naturally look up to the older dancers. Year after year I watched the Flowers and the Snowflakes dance in dress rehearsals and thought, ‘I’ll never be able to do that,’ in awe. I thought my rehearsals back then were hard work! I remember those thoughts, and that is what makes me even more grateful to be a Flower this year, and Understudy Snow Scene. My little seven year old self would be so proud. The hard work then, and now, pays off in the performance without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment